Choosing a topic for your history essay may seem easy and even exciting at first, but as the practice has shown, a lot of students are left perplexed when it comes to deciding on a paper topic. You can write a brilliant essay on any theme you have covered in class; the key is to realize what interests you the most and what you genuinely want to write about.
We understand how difficult it can be to land on a topic when there’s so much to choose from. No worries, our list of history topics will definitely help you decide what you want to write a paper about, and it will always be here in case you need more inspiration!
History assignments often have numerous pitfalls that confuse students and even affect the quality of work. You need to remember that researching history topics can help us understand our present. Hence, when doing research, please remember these things:
- You can and should question historic events and their causes. When writing your essay, imagine what would change if a person made a different decision or circumstances were different.
- Do not simply list events; instead, analyze them thoroughly!
- Do not assess events and personalities with words like “positive,” “great,” negative,” etc.
- There is no need to include all events in your essay; choose the most relevant ones.
- Remember that historical figures are people, too, and they made mistakes and changed their opinions.
How to Pick the Best Topic
Before jumping to the list of topics, let’s discuss how to choose the best one for you. This two-step process is extra simple, historical but it will make the writing process simpler and much more enjoyable.
1 – Brainstorm! Read our list, highlight the topics you like the most, and even try to find an example of a history essay. Then, add all topics you find interesting to your list and keep searching.
2 – Pick a topic that interests you and will satisfy your professor. Even if you are sure that you can write a perfect essay on a particular topic, always make sure that your teacher approves of your choice, and you can proceed.
A friendly reminder to always outlining your future paper and if you don’t understand or remember certain historical events, feel free to use Wikipedia to read about them, but don’t plagiarize!
The List of History Essay Topics:
I. Ancient History:
- The religion of Ancient Egypt
- Philosophers of Ancient Greece
- Greek Mythology: the Religious and Social Function
- Causes of the Trojan War
- The Origin of the Olympic Games
- Slavery in Ancient Greece
- Plato’s Allegory of the Cave
- Power in Empires: from Assyria to Byzantium
- Greek Pantheon
- Gender Roles in Ancient Rome
- Diet in Ancient Rome
- The Architecture of Ancient Rome
- Biography of Julius Ceasar and His Role in Roman Empire
- Early Latin Literature
- Sports in Ancient Rome
- Aztecs and Their Life Before the Arrival of Colonists
- The Downfall of the Roman Empire
- History of the Great Sphinx
- Beliefs about Life and Death in Ancient Egypt
- Burial Ceremonies in Ancient Egypt
- History of the Great Wall
- The Terracotta Army
- Religions in Ancient China
- Confucius and His Teachings
- What is so special about the Hanging Gardens of Babylon?
- The Rise of the Akkadian Empire
- Persian-Greek Wars: Causes and Consequences
- Life of Cleopatra
- Achievements of Alexander the Great
- Homer: Life and Works
II. Middle Ages
- Consequences of the Hundred Years War
- The Fall of Burgundy: Causes
- Joan of Arc as an Inspiration for Modern Women
- How Women Became Leaders in the Middle Ages
- Stories of the Crusades and Why You Should Read Them
- Intellectual and Cultural Achievements in the 14th Century Europe
- Knights of the Middle Ages
- The economy in the Middle Ages
- Witchcraft during the Middle Ages
- Relationships Between the Jews and the Moors
- Importance of Marriage in the Middle Ages
- The Concept of “Childhood” in the Middle Ages
- Literature and the Middle Ages
III. World Wars
- The Role of the US in WWI
- The Causes of WWI
- Nationalism as a Force in Germany in 19th Century
- The Leadership of Otto von Bismarck
- Were Europe’s Major Powers Ready for the War?
- Weltpolitik: What Was It?
- How the press and the public responded to declarations of war in August 1914.
- Why did the Ottoman Empire enter WWI?
- The Battles of Tannenberg and Its Outcomes
- The Western VS the Eastern Fronts as Theaters of War
- Main Objectives of the War in the Middle East
- Why the Trench Warfare Became the Dominant Form of Warfare on the Western Front
- Development, Early Use, and Effectiveness of Tanks
- What was the Shell Crisis of 1915?
- The Treaty of Versailles
- Effects of WWI on Social, Political, and Economic Status of Women
- WWII: Causes
- Anti-Jewish Laws and Violence in Nazi Germany Before WWII
- The Life of Anne Frank
- Could WWII have been Avoided?
- Political Leaders of WWII
- Art Movements Inspired by Wartime Events
- Medical Developments During WWII
- The Issue of Propaganda During WWII
- America’s Entry into the War
- Hitler’s Influence on German Architecture
- The Spies During WWII
- Were Concentration Camps Efficient?
- Photography and Film During WWII
- The Bombing of Dresden in WWII
- Political Causes of WWII for Germany and America
- The Impacts of WWII on Asia
- Controversies of WWII
- The Results of WWII
- Impact of WWII on Modern Europe
IV. United States History
- Impact of Colonization on Native Americans
- American Revolution: Causes, Main Events, and Results
- Declaration of Independence 1776
- Slavery in The United States
- Civil War: Key Issues that Caused Conflict Between North and South
- Abraham Lincoln’s Assassination
- Inventors/Inventions of the 19th Century
- Labor Conflicts/Strikes in the Late 1800s
- What Happened to Amelia Earhart?
- Pearl Harbor: Could it Have Been Predicted?
- Truman’s Containment Policy
- JFK’s Assassination
- Vietnam War: What Were the Social Consequences?
- Key People in American History
24/7 History Essay Assistance
Now that we talked about the topics for your history essay and how to choose a perfect one, you can practice writing your paper!
However, if you don’t have time or need a perfectly written paper and need some help, you can always delegate this task to our team of professional writers. We will be happy to work with you and make sure that your history essay analyzes the topic thoroughly and demonstrates your knowledge.